Areas of Expertise
- 29 years environmental project management experience
- Technical and management skills in marine, coastal and environmental geology and geophysics for natural resource development and environmental management.
- Extensive experience in DNAPL and chlorinated hydrocarbon investigations and remediation.
- Management of CERCLA, RCRA and UST projects.
Principal Hydrogeologist (1999 - Present)
- Marine geologist/geophysicist providing geophysical interpretation and geological hazard reports to marine survey contractors and oil companies.
- Expert witness/litigation support for environmental law cases involving oil leases and investigations.
- Response Action Contractor (RAC) for leaking underground storage tank (LUST) investigations and remediation.
- Project Manager for RCRA Facility Investigation/Corrective Measures Study for chemical plant with chlorinated hydrocarbon release.
Chief Hydrogeologist (1991 - 1999)
- Provided technical services both as an employee and contractor for DNAPL recovery and containment at a Superfund site in Baton Rouge. Responsible for $3mm annual budget.
- Managed field drilling, sampling, and documentation of over 190 recovery wells and 350 test borings and wells.
- Applied groundwater and fate & transport modeling, geostatistics, ecological risk assessment, natural attenuation, geological data base management, 3-D stratigraphy, and geophysics to cost- effectively characterize subsurface conditions.
- Prepared Remedial Investigation/Feasibility Studies reports for two areas of Superfund site.
- Provided geological and hydrogeological assessment for solid waste permit application.
District Hydrogeologist (1987 - 1991)
- Provided technical support for industrial and petroleum site investigations and remediation in Louisiana, Mississippi, Arkansas, and Texas.
- Co-authored RFI work plan for chemical plant in Lake Charles, LA.
- Performed assessments and corrective action for over 150 LUST sites.
- Used surface geophysics to define groundwater contamination at two landfill sites.
Geophysicist / Geophysical Technician (1978 - 1987)
- Performed marine geophysical (deep and high resolution seismic) surveys as technician and party manager.
- Performed geophysical processing and provided interpretation for geological hazards assessments for petroleum exploration.
Louisiana State University Coastal Studies Institute
Baton Rouge, LA
M.S. Marine and Coastal Geology, 1986
University of Southern Mississippi
B.S. Marine Biology, 1977
Geology Major 1982-83
University of New Orleans, 1991
Advanced Hydrogeology Course
Certified Professional Hydrogeologist –American Institute of Hydrogeology
Registered Professional Geologist-Louisiana (2016)
Registered Professional Geologist-Mississippi (1997)
Registered Professional Geologist-Arkansas (1991)
Licensed Water Well Contractor-Louisiana (1991)
40 Hour HAZWOPER Training
Publications & Presentations
Lee, Peter B., 1998, Application of Hydraulic Containment and Natural Attenuation of Chlorinated Organics, in Proceedings of the National Ground Water Association, 50th Annual Meeting, Las Vegas.
Chaphalkar, P.G., K.T. Valsaraj, W.D. Constant, D. Roy, and P.B. Lee, 1996, Application of Anionic and Nonionic Surfactants in the Enhancement of Pump and Treat Remediation Using Colloidal Gas Dispersions, in proceedings of the American Chemical Society I&EC Special Symposium, Birmingham, AL, September 9-11.
Lee, Peter B., 1994, Management of a Long-Term Drilling Program at a NPL Site, in Workshop Notebook, National Ground Water Association, 8th Annual National Outdoor Action Conference, Minneapolis.
Lee, Peter B., 1994, Application of a High-Resolution Seismic Survey at a NPL Site in Louisiana, in Proceedings of the National Ground Water Association, 8th Annual National Outdoor Action Conference, Minneapolis.
Lee, Peter B., and Charles Sprague, 1991, Application of Aquifer Characteristic Testing Methods in Low- Yield Formations, in Proceedings of Association of Engineering Geologists, 34th Annual Meeting, Chicago.
Lee, Peter B., 1986, Geomorphology of the Modern Mississippi Delta Front, M.S. Thesis, Louisiana State University Library.
Guest Instructor of Dr. Dale Easley for Field Methods and Advanced Hydrogeology courses at the University of New Orleans (1991-1994).
Guest Instructor of Brad Hanson for Environmental Geology course at Louisiana State University (1994-1996).